Mengag-gag-ay tako.

Gawis ay agew yo.

Friday, February 8, 2008

The best men in the Philippines

Leonard Woods, a governor general of the Philippines during the American regime once said, "The best men in the Philippines are the women." Absurd for someone who would take the words literally but as i continue to ponder on it, i know, i agree with him.

I grew up in a family with my mother as my mother and my father. She raised us up as normal kids and was even able to send us to school given the very limited resources that she had. And the man of the family - our father - he was somewhere making another family which will later on be under my mom's care. He died leaving nothing for his children even the children he bore down in Mindanao.

When i married, my husband had to go abroad to find work as a factory worker though he had been one of the best student teachers during our time. He abhorred doing the papers and so he went. I was left with a girl barely two years old and i was pregnant with our second. For most of my married years, i was alone raising my kids though of course, he usually sent financial support.

I hated it at first. I would terribly miss him and my only consolation was having my kids around to distract me from falling into a great depression. But, i also learned to depend on myself. I learned to stand on my own and not depend on a husband who may not be around to hammer the nail or even to carry bed. I may be a woman but i can also do the work of a man.

Yet, while i was glowing in my achievements as a man and a woman of the house, i forgot that my husband is but a man in need. Until one day when i came to realize that he was calling less and less until less is never even for about two or more months. I contained myself and prayed that things will be fine and things will go back to normal. But then, what is normal to us may not be normal to others. Yes, a normal family would come together in the morning for breakfast and in the evening for dinner but we never did that.

Until last night.... I was about to go to bed when a sudden realization slapped me right in the face. I was in Grade III when my father left us. My daughter is in Grade III now. Will it be history repeating itself? At least for me before, it was a great relief when my father finally went coz my mom can now lay down to rest at night not afraid of somebody waking her up with a punch in the wee hours of the morning. However, how about my daughter and my son? They can't say it's a relief. Even if their father had not been a physically present father, they have been in touch with each other so much so that i know they are hurt more than i am.

However, i am still one of the best men in the Philippines. Women can stand up and still prioritize their children more than their hurt. Yes, that is why they are the best men - an example of strong faith, muscled responsibility, cushioned comfort and so on. They don't just rely on tomorrow, they work for tomorrow whether the man of the house is present or not.

This then is a call for the women left by their men - BE A MAN. Tomorrow is a better day.




10 comments:

CHERWAI said...

Am reading your blog and I am gaining strength from it. We seem to be in a similar situation. My mom too left us when I needed her most. went home to her home in MASBATE.HUH! Coincidental kaya? Have been raising 3 kids all alone too. My husband, also, went abroad but am glad d communication is still there and so much alive.Mahirap din but you see things are turning out right in our career despite all these things we need to LIVE UP with. Its these trials that keep us moving on. Kaya natin to, Irene. Let's keep moving on!!!
virgie

fReNeLyN said...

i don't know what to say.. i just hope that you're ok and the kids as well.. rely to Him.. He loves you more than any other people out there.. we love you ma'am irene..

banayan said...

thanks everybody. sometimes, we need to be hurt to strengthen others as well as ourselves. it's like, we need to be used to be sharpened. he he

remember the bolo? it needs to be sharpened to be used better. in the process of sharpening, it seems to be hurting so much (ouch)but that's it.

thanks cherwai, now i know i am not alone in this world.

thanks fren, i know with people like you i can stand.

Kamulo said...

irene, is this you? wow. brave of you to share this - i remember your mom (auntie puring). very brave, strong woman of faith. looking back, she's one of the most inspiring women i know. i'm sure you've learned / still learning from her. give her my warmest regards. i haven't seen her in the few times i've been to sagada in the past years.

God bless your family.
- Suany

rolyne said...

Hi Irene, time flies, things change and some things happen unexpectedly.

We both were and still are very much occupied beating the daily grind.Since i came back the last time i visited i was preparing for Jon's arrival and very soon after being a mom of our little angel Yvann.

In my heart, I always thought one day to chat with you, extremely eager and looking forward to know and listen to all your stories, about the kids, school, your career and everything good under the sun as asual.

As i was reading, honestly i dont wanna go further, NOOOO it shouldn't be, I closed my eyes shed my tears (as i can't help) and felt your pain.....hoping it was just imaginary.You don't deserve this my dear but sometimes we need to be hurt so we can wake up and move on.

I supposed you won't be surprised if im emotionally sick with these. as you do.

Anyways, I hold my head up high for you, I salute you for your boldness and the courage and strength of what you do and to come out and share your thoughts and pains. Indeed it will lessen your load and one day you'll wake up feeling great.

YES YOU ARE IRENE, WITHOUT A DOUBT YOU ARE ONE OF THE FEW BEST MEN INDEED.

Be strong, i know you'll continue to be such... look at your kids, they'll keep you going and mom purita for her endless and unconditional love and support, your family and your friends are with you all the way.

Yes you are right, theres always a better tomorrow if not today, MAY THE RAYS OF SUNSHINE FILL YOUR HEART AND HOUSEHOLD WITH PEACE AND HAPPINESS AFTER ALL THESE MESS AND SORROWS.

Our thoughts and prayers are for you,your two angels, your family and best regards to mother Purita.

Pls take care of yourself, I understand these are all taking its toll on you but you need some time to cool off, pamper yourself a bit. DON'T WORK TOO HARD MY LOVE, you look leaner than I thought, don't think it looks good on you.

YOU DID A SUPERB JOB ON YOUR BLOG,WELL DONE!!!!!! BRAVOOOOO!!!!

WE'LL be visiting next winter for 3 or more months, can't wait to see you, then lets party and have a blast SHALLLLLLLLLLLLL WEEEEEEEEE????????????

WITH ALL OUR LOVE,

affectionately,
YVANN
ROLYNE
JONATHAN
Toronto,Canada

banayan said...

thanks rol and suany. life is lighter with people like you. writing makes my load lighter that is why i needed to write those down. but don't worry, it may just be a part of living but it will not be the end. it is just a time for us to reflect so we become better today and the days to come.

i'll read your blog suany and communicate with you through it. i'm eager to start reading but as of now, i can't for some reasons.

thanks. and hugs to all

Kamulo said...

Irene, I've made my blog accessible to members only. Let me know if you are interested to become one. Cheers.

banayan said...

yaps i am interested. let me join.

joel said...

irene,

just wanna share what i've read

"If you look at what you do not have in life, you don't have anything, If you look at what you have in life, you have everything."

joel

joel said...

joel e-namatec